BallardBlog

I live in Ballard. You would if you could.

My Photo
Name:

Ballard was settled by Scandinavians in the late 19th-century. While we weren't part of the original migration, we've lived here a long time and still like it.

Monday, October 11, 2004

The Guitar Player


The Guitar Player by Vermeer

Saturday night I went over to a little cafe to hear my friend Brenda's band Daughters of Joy.

Brenda plays guitar and sings. Melynn plays bass. Kelly is the drummer but didn't show. Brenda had two guys on trumpet and tenor improvising over her tunes. Like all improv, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

I don't do much rock music anymore but it was fun to hear her stuff. Brenda has some good songs and I liked these stripped down versions. Mostly I liked the scale of the night. The cafe is in the basement of an old Ballard house. Furnished as it is with worn sofas and chairs and collectible nonsense, it really felt like a basement show for friends. Which we were. It was great hanging out with friends old and new and listening to music.