BallardBlog

I live in Ballard. You would if you could.

My Photo
Name:

Ballard was settled by Scandinavians in the late 19th-century. While we weren't part of the original migration, we've lived here a long time and still like it.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Blue Cheese


Blue Cheese, a painting by Andrice Arp.

I inherited a few things from my grandfather: Democratic politics, a certain squareness of jaw, and a taste for sharp cheeses. Grandpa loved his blue cheese. (He loved his Limburger, too, but that didn't get passed along.)

I was thinking of him this afternoon as I ate lunch. I had a nice blue from Point Reyes, California, a Jonagold apple from British Columbia, a red table wine from France, and Wheat Thins from the Nabisco bakery in Portland. It was a very nice lunch leaving behind a general sense of well-being.

Afterwards, I squared my jaw with renewed determination to see John Kerry elected President.