BallardBlog

I live in Ballard. You would if you could.

My Photo
Name:

Ballard was settled by Scandinavians in the late 19th-century. While we weren't part of the original migration, we've lived here a long time and still like it.

Monday, November 01, 2004

Canada's Finest


illustration from McFeely's.

There's not much bluster about Canada. They just go about their business of doing things well without all the breast-beating and trash-talking Americans favor. This might be why you've never heard of the Robertson square-drive screw. Invented in Canada in 1908, it's positively brilliant. Unlike conventional or Phillips screws that usually require three hands to place (one on the screw, one on the drill, and one on the material you're fastening), the square-drive screw stays on the drill bit. Now you only need the two hands God gave you. Divinely inspired, if you ask me.

I mention this because I spent part of the afternoon repairing a windowshade. The hex-head screws that came with the thing were impossible, leading to the sort of language Mom never approves of. I got some square-drives and the thing went up in no time.